Thursday, November 14, 2013

Universal Language

Oi! I´m really glad things are going well at home! Love you all so much.
Something I love about my companion is he shares the same desire I have to be exactly obedient. To do the best we can. We understand and recognize that when the Lord wants to give us power, He gives us commandments. (D&C 82:10) We don´t find obedience as an irritant, rather it´s our quest. Understanding that it must be done and motivated by charity. Just as much faith without works is dead, so is service without love is dead.
The language is challenging at times, but for this I am grateful. It has caused me to rely more on the Lord. To trust in Him to take my sincere but imperfect effort and carry it through His spirit, to make it into something just right, indeed something that is perfect because He is. I have greatly enjoyed sharing testimony, and striving to speak the language. I think about what dad wrote to a few weeks ago. That smile, laughter and love are all the same language. Most of the time  all I can do is smile when people are talking, then laugh when they make a joke, because I don´t get it.
I have thought and wondered what Language we all spoke when we were in the presence of God. I have a very strong suspicion it was Portuguese. Elder Uchtdorf once taught that in our pre-mortal life we learned first-hand from the Father of our spirits, a universal language, one that has the power to overcome emotional, physical, and spiritual boundaries. This language is the pure love of Christ. It is the most powerful language in the world. We received our first lessons in this language of love as spirits in God´s presence, and here on earth we have opportunities to practice and become fluent.
This is the language I want to learn. When our primary thoughts and behaviors are focused on serving God and others, and when we truly desire to bless and lift those around us. Then the power of this pure love of Christ can work in our hearts and lives.
This is the Truth. This work, is the work of the Lord. I know it. We have the fullness of the gospel, with the doctrine that is perfect. I testify we have a living prophet. Jesus Christ stands at the head of this Church, it is His church. I was sent here by Him, to represent Him among these people. When I promise them specific blessings, it´s the same as Him promising them.  I have felt greater strength and assistance than I ever imagined possible.
Sou grato por todo, ti amo!


(I am grateful for all. Ti amo)

some Photos

The kids here are so cool, haha. They are funny how they all run around with their home made kites.

It´s funny, a lot of people will live in a little shack, but in their backyards they´ll have big trees with exotic fruit. I´ve also been surprised how many have flat screen TV's, I´m always like wait..... you have a nice TV, but no shower and only half a roof? Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment