Sunday, January 18, 2015

Monkey See Monkey Do!


On Saturday (which is our P-day, I´m in the office on Mondays and do email). We got a call from our President to go over to his house. We were in Cajazeiras at the time finishing a division. We told him we´d take the bus and be in about an hour and a half. But that seemed to take to long for him, and he told us to take a taxi. The first taxi that stopped for us, was driven by a member named Nelson- who recognized me and gave us a ride. We got to the Mission President´s home. I expected to have some kind of serious meeting. President Lisonbee is a powerful leader that pushes for a higher way of living for the missionaries. But I was suprised when we arrived to find him very calm. He said ´Oh, we were just resting. Why don´t you take off the ties, and relax a little bit. I´ll make some sandwiches then we´ll watch a movie called Meet the Mormons, what do you think?´ Haha.
While we were there, a monkey came to their window. (They live on the 7th floor) We rushed to grab some bananas, well that little monkey called about 8 others and they came climbing up to the window seal to grab some. Some would steal from each other, it was fun to watch.
I feel really privileged and grateful to get close the mission president and his wife. A lot of the time I wish I could trade spots with another missionary- so he could experience it. I still had this feeling of, I don´t deserve this, it´s really awesome, but I never sought for this. Elder Mitton came and told me he felt the same way. Elder Mitton is part of the Mission Staff as well. He´s the financial secretary. He then explained how he spent Thanksgiving with President. Sister Lisonbee filled the home with home-made rolls, jam, and all the turkey and thanksgiving food we are used to. He felt bad that he was there, when the rest of the mission is eating beans and rice. 
But then he saw them Skype their family on this holiday. He watched them talk to their kids and grand-kids. He saw how much love and homesick they were, and how badly their family wanted to be with him. 
He then told me, that we as missionaries have no idea what home-sickness is. Perhaps we miss our siblings and parents or a girlfriend. But it´s nothing compared to missing a child or a grand child. We have the members, our districts, our investigators. That become our family as we get absorbed in the work. But the Mission President and his wife just have us. The missionaries. They don´t love any other missionary more than another, and see and treat them all as grandchildren. (which explains why he took us to the zoo) 
  
With each act of kindness from taking us to a Mexican restaurant or giving us advice. President and Sister Lisonbee remind me of you two- my parents. I love you. I can say with surety I have ´been born of goodly parents´ and I have certainly I have ´been favored of the Lord in all my days.´ (Nephi 1:1). I know that´s true. This week President presented the Mission´s Goals. He showed the Plan for this mission and how we are to achieve these goals. We sat with all the mission leadership- all 60 of us- and discussed this plan. 
Then Sister Lisonbee got up and bore witness that we were in a similar counsel before this life. When God presented His plan to all of us. The plan to bring about the immortality and eternal life of man. Though something was missing. We would need a Savior. We looked around thinking, who could do that? Who would want to do that? That´s when we heard the humble voice of Christ ´Here I am, send me.´ 

In the Book Of Mormon we read Mormon speaking to his son ´But, Behold, my son, I recommend thee unto God, and I trust in Christ that thou wilt be saved.´  I´ve thought about that. To be recommended of God. I believe we were. To be the Saints in the last days, the last part of this war, certainly He would recommend those he places the most trust to do so. I read in a talk ´The simple fact is that our Father did not recommend Eve or Moses or Nephi or countless other magnificent exemplars for this dispensation—He recommended you and me. Do you think God would have left the last days to chance by sending men and women He couldn't count on?´ 
I believe, that you two were recommended Parents. I´m very grateful for you. Love ya. 

No comments:

Post a Comment