Monday, June 3, 2013

“I know Joseph Smith was a Prophet”



May 30, 2013

        During Language Study this morning I was practicing the first vision. (Joseph Smith-History 1:16-17). I had it memorized in Portuguese. I was out on the balcony of our apartment, speaking Portuguese out loud to myself as my companions studied inside.

        I pretended to be in Brazil, in a home, looking someone in the eye as I taught them it. I started slowly feeling every word “Vi um pilar de luz…” As I continued, I felt the spirit more powerfully. My voice was a weak whisper by the end, but full of emotion as I uttered the last words “Ouve O (Hear Him)’ with tears in my eyes.

        Before, I had always believed, or at least hoped, the first vision was true, and a real event. It had always seemed logical. I knew the Book of Mormon was true. But today, out there, alone, speaking my mission language,
 I knew.
 I know, as if I had been there myself. I spoke as though I had witnessed it with my eyes and felt the glory of it.

        At the end I was able to say “Eu sei que Jose Smith fa em a profeta (Joseph Smith was a prophet)” and mean it, with every fiber of my being. I don’t care if it may sound weird or odd or impossible to some people, I felt the Holy Ghost tell me clearly through my feelings that he did see the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.

        I didn’t need to see a vision or have any form of physical proof. What I felt had a greater impact, and more convincing power than all other things could hope to do. I don’t need proof or a physical witness. What I felt pierced me to the core.

        I’m loving it here. I have never felt greater joy. In some ways, I don’t want to head to Brazil really soon. I love the people I meet, and want to see these people I care about continue to change, and see them baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. Don’t get me wrong, as soon as that VISA comes, I know it will be time and I will not hesitate. I love Brazil already, and I haven’t been there yet.

        Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the Las Vegas Temple, it’s amazing. As I sat in the Celestial room, I thought, “This is where I want them to be. I want my investigators to get here. To feel of the powerful spirit, the beauty of the temple, and the glorious plan of eternal families.

        There is no greater work. There is nothing that can compare.

        I love my family so much, and feel an increase love and appreciation each day for them. Thank you for your prayers that strengthen me and keep my safe. Never underestimate the power of prayers for other people.

        Com Amore,

                Elder Pollard

No comments:

Post a Comment