Monday, July 22, 2013

Not Against Each Other

In missionary work as well as in everyday life, we are grateful for Elder Holland's reminder that: "No one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us---insecurities, anxieties, poor self-image, and all.  He doesn't measure our talents or our looks; he doesn't measure our professions.  He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other."
 
Yesterday I was sitting in ward council with the all ward leaders. We discussed our investigators and less actives with them and what we needed from them. When we told them about Patrica, everyone in her neighborhood knew what house we were speaking of. They used terms like the scary house, or the mexicans and made other judgments based on their appearance or stories they have heard. I was not happy, and felt something must be said. I was a little hesitant, these were my leaders all older and more experienced, but I knew I needed to. I cut them off, and testified. "Patrica and her family are some of the most prepared people I've met for the gospel. They are amazing people. She will soon be baptized and it is only a matter of time before we will have all of her kids here at church. I don't care what stories you've heard, or what they have done in the past.  The only thing that would keep them from being faithful members of the church would be the other members. They are prepared and ready to make a change. We cannot judge. They should be received with love and acceptance when they walk through here, and I don't feel it's right to use any of the terms you are using."
It was cool, the spirit guided my words and they made a strong impact. Things are going great, when she did come to church she was received with great fellowship by the leaders and members.

No comments:

Post a Comment